Paragon II systems consist of three components: Base
Units, which do the matrix switching; Computer- Interface Modules (CIMs)
connected to each server; and User-Station Modules (User Stations) connected
to each set of user-station equipment.
There are a number of Base Unit models that support different numbers
of directly attached users and server CPUs:
• Product code P2-UMT242 supports 2 users and 42 CPUs
• P2-UMT442 supports 4 users and 42 CPUs
• P2-UMT832M supports 8 users and 32 CPUs
• P2-UMT1664M supports 16 users and 64 CPUs
There are also several different CIMs for different types of servers (all
must output VGA video):
- P2CIM-PS2 and ZCIM-PS2 support CPUs with IBM PS/2
type keyboard and mouse ports; Z-CIM has an extra RJ-45 port to support
a “local CPU” installed between a User Station and a Base
Unit, as well as chaining of Z-CIMs for clustered access.
- P2CIM-SUN supports CPUs with Sun type keyboard and
- P2CIM-USB, P2CIM-SUSB, and P2CIM-USBG2 support CPUs
with USB keyboard and mouse ports.
- P2CIM-USBG2 works with P2-HUBPAC in PC, MAC, and
SUN USB configurations.
- AUATC supports CPUs connected through their RS-232
- P2CIM-PS2DUAL supports CPUs with IBM PS/2 keyboard
and mouse ports; allows one PC to expand to double the number of users.
There is one universal User Station (P2-UST) that supports PS/2, Sun,
or USB keyboards and mice. (Raritan recommend that you use a Sun keyboard
if there are any Sun CPUs in your system; if you must use a PS/2 keyboard
to control Sun CPUs,) If you want to connect one user station to one CPU
across a long stretch of CAT5 or higher cable, you can run such a cable
between a “direct mode” User Station and a P2CIM-PS2
Paragon II also offers a stacking unit, which is a cost-effective,
space-saving expansion unit that allows you to easily add up to 128 non-blocked
ports per switch with 90% less cable than cascading. Stacking units are
compatible with Paragon II models UMT 832 M and UMT 1664M.
Stacking Unit Benefits
The stacking units reduce the burden of multiple cables between tiers,
reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) by more than 30% and save one-third
of rack space and HVAC resources.
- Powerful BIOS-level access and full keyboard and
mouse control of Windows, SUN and USB servers
- High performance analog switching provides extremely
high video quality
- Simplifies cabling between tiers by replacing pass
through cables with a single expansion cable saving up to 32 cables
- Highly scaleable architecture allows for connection
of up to 10,000 attached devices in a single logical deployment.
- Leverages Raritans Cat5 simplicity technology allowing
any standard UTP cables to be used
- Optional IP Access extends the typical distance
between Paragon components allowing users access from anywhere
- Provides a single, consolidated view and control
of Raritan Remote Power Control Units connected to Paragon II
- GUI software simplifies management and monitoring
of data center by consolidating administration of attached equipment.
- Supports firmware upgrading and completions of installs
over the network saving time and money.
- Allows connection of multiple disparate servers
such as Windows, SUN, Compaq, HP and UNIX-based servers. Also allows
serial devices to be connected via Raritans AUATC adaptors.
- Backward compatible with existing Paragon equipment
- Very small form-factor saves expensive rack space
and minimizes electrical consumption by lowering HVAC provisioning needs.
- Integrated power supply ensures proper power
provision and system reliability.
With Paragon II, you can stack units to gain up to 128 computer ports
and control up to 10,000 servers by tiering stacked units and adding memory
cards. Building upon the proven analog KVM switching technologies of Raritan's
original Paragon, it has superior KVM switch technology that dramatically
reduces equipment costs and optimizes space utilization.
Innovative Modular Architecture
The main switching unit is a secure, intelligent, non-blocked control
unit that connects users to servers. Its stackable architecture provides
the industry's highest port density.
The optional UST-IP user station provides KVM-over-IP capability for anytime,
anywhere access and control of Paragon II-connected servers. Incorporating
a slim design and familiar Raritan Remote Client GUI (which automatically
downloads through your browser), it combines the User Station role of
the UST1 and IP gateway functionality into one device. It also gives remote
users on/off/recycle capabilities for power-strip-connected devices. The
UST-IP also supports 128-bit SSL encryption and authenticates users against
the Paragon II database.